Interviews.

A place for socializing. Take your shoes off and have a seat.

Moderator: Demetri Ivanov

Finchley Kerr
https://cutt.ly/meble-wroclaw

Interviews.

Post by Finchley Kerr »

Hello all,

Having spoken a little while ago with the CinC, I got the go-ahead to set up this page. It's something I did at The Simming League and also in TREKSPACE, it's an interview page.

Basicaly, the idea is that you contact myself via PM to say "Yes, I'd loved to be interviewed" and I then send you the question sheet. Don't worry, there's nothing controvertial in the question sheet, it's all very straight forward. You then fill out your answers to the questions and send the whole thing back to me for verification. Once that's been done, the interview is then placed here on the forum for everyone to read.

All it is in the interview is a little bit about yourself the person, and then a set of questions about Star Trek and the Star Trek TV series and films, as I said, nothing controvertial.

So, if you're interested, please PM me and let me know you wish to be interviewed.

Thanks for your time.

Finchley Kerr

Re: Interviews.

Post by Finchley Kerr »

Today we have our first interview volunteer, take it away!!! :-)

What's your R L name?

Ieuan

If you could create a persona for a ST series, which series would it be, where would your persona be placed (Science, Engineering, Security etc) and what name would you give them?

It would have to be Deep Space 9. The persona would likely be very nerdy, but friendly in an awkward way I suppose. And they would work in the Science Department, Science being the best! Their name? Well ... Alvar Mitrokhin seems a nice fit, doesn't it?

What is it most about Star Trek that you like?

At the most basic level it's that a guy at the height of the Cold War looked around and saw that we would still be around in three to four hundred years' time, and not only would we survive, we would be thriving and spreading throughout the galaxy.

To me that speaks powerfully about our ability to better ourselves, to solve our problems and to reach deep within and imagine a better tomorrow.

What, if anything, is it about Star Trek that you don't like?

Wesley Crusher. And his entirely Gary Stu concept.

If you could become a scrpit writer, what thing(s) would you bring about to enhance the image of Star Trek?

Hmmm. This is a genuinely difficult question. Leaving aside the shiny new revamp for a moment, we'll consider the Trek universe as it was left after Nemesis.

Essentially, the TNG cast has been canned because Paramount feels they're too old, too tired as a concept and ensemble.

So I would jump straight into the action with a new crew, probably centred around one of the members of previous series as an anchor, a familiar face with which to start off a new franchise. Show how they come together, and then go jetting off on new adventures with an exploratory bent - after all, there's whole swathes of the galaxy still left, and unanswered questions!

It's less about enhancement than elaborating on the situation that's left - what's happened to the Borg? The Romulans after Shinzon? How are the Klingons taking advantage? There's a whole lot left unanswered.

Which series' characters you like?

By far the most well-rounded and developed characters during a series run was those of Deep Space 9. I love the show, and the characters are an integral part of it. And if I had to pick a favourite or two it would be Garak and Quark for sure.

Would you consider writing fan fiction, or indeed, do you?

I do actually. I'm quite active in the simulation community where a group of us come together as the crew of a starship and write a collaborative fiction, if you like. The organisation of which I am a member, Theta Fleet, has a few rules that need to be obeyed however in order to ensure full enjoyment for those around you - for example interaction with canon characters is largely frowned upon, which forces you to go in your own direction, away from DS9, Voyager and the Enterprise in order to tell your own story. It's absolutely a blast!

Is there a piece of insight that you'd like to pass onto the current script writers/directors of the new Star Trek films?

It's nice and all that Star Trek is now shiny with lots of lens flare and cool graphics and moves at a fast pace, but a series of events in sequence is not a plot.

If you could meet any Star Trek actor/actress, who would it be?

Leonard Nimoy

If you could ask them one question, what would that question be?

Star Treks IV and VI - how on Earth did you dream those up? Magnificent!

Is there anything else you'd like to add?

I started watching Star Trek when I was 8 or 9, but unfortunately, in the wrong order, beginning with Voyager. So I thought it was about the crew of a ship trying to get back home to Earth. Remade four times. How Deep Space 9 fit in, I don't know. Since then, of course, my knowledge has come on in leaps and bounds!

And, if you're interested in collaborative fiction, hit us up at thetafleet.net - you will not be disappointed!

-----------------------------
Thanks very much Ieuan, those are very interresting replies to the questions.

If anyone else would like to try the interview, please PM and I'll give send you the interview sheet, thanks.